CD Reviews | CTD (Briefly Noted) | JFL (Dip Your Ears) | DVD Reviews

13.5.18

Forbes Classical CD Of The Week: The Evanescent Elegance Of Paul Lewis' Pictures At An Exhibition


...For one reason or another, I never quite intuitively responded to his recordings – or in the rare caught live performance his playing – as I thought I would and should: “However tenuous the idea is, one expects a sense of occasion, something ‘special’… something more than a performance that admittedly impresse[s] with unfussy, very fluent playing… but also threw in two parts out of three autopilot.” Gradually my expectations shrunk back to size, to the point where I felt ambivalent at popping a new Lewis recording into the player. Perhaps that’s why it took me so long to get to his 2015 release of Musorgsky’s [sic] Pictures at an Exhibition...

-> Classical CD Of The Week: The Evanescent Elegance Of Paul Lewis' Pictures At An Exhibition





available at Amazon
M.Musorgsky + R.Schumann,
Pictures at an Exhibition, Fantasy op.17,
Paul Lewis,
Harmonia Mundi


























No comments: